· Appearances matter – and remember to smile.
· As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
· I am the captain of my soul.
· Where you stand depends on where you sit.
· I am not a saint, unless you think of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying.
· The greatest glory in living lies not in ever falling, but in rising every time we fall.
· As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.
· Lead from the back and let others believe they are in front.
· One of the things I learned when I was negotiating was that until I changed my self, I could not change others.
· It is said that no one truly knows a nation until one has been inside its jails. A nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens, but its lowest ones.
· Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.
· A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literate tongue or pen, then you have something very special.
· It always seems impossible until it is done.
· After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.
· Poverty is not an accident, life slavery and apartheid; it is manmade and can be removed by the actions of human beings.
· As I have said the first thing is to be honest with yourself.
· WE ASK OURSELVES, WHO AM I TO BE BRILLIANT, GORGEOUS, HANDSOME, TALENTED AND FABULOUS? ACTUALLY, WHO ARE YOU NOT TO BE?
· Courage is not the absence of fear – it is inspiring others to move beyond it.
· Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
· ONCE A PERSON IS DETERMINED TO HELP THEMSELVES, THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN STOP THEM.